For ten months out of the year, I keep myself busy during the day in the classroom teaching Social Studies Religion, Physical Education and English. In the afternoons I’m on the volleyball, basketball and tennis courts coaching. In the evenings I can usually be found marking or working on other school related stuff.
Then all of a sudden summer hits and I am left (for the first time since I was 13) with two months and nothing, absolutely nothing, to do. I must admit it was nice the first week, having a break from school and coaching, but after that first week I was dying for a purpose. I realized I would need to find some sort of hobby or interest other than teaching and this is what I have been up to so far:
- Having a clean house all week, not just on Saturday evenings when I do my once a week clean.
- There are no piles of laundry.
- I have read 5 books so far. Currently on Ben-Hur.
- I actually haven’t done much unit planning (I’m leaving that for August)
- I have not only created this blog, but have become the ghost writer for my husband’s business blog.
- I have helped DH build a deck (learned to use a power drill, but won’t touch any kind of power saw), demo concrete, and even held the tape measure for intricate measurements (most boring job ever!).
- I have become so OBSESSED with getting a dog, that I have annoyed, every person around me.
- I have tried and failed to take up running, although I am going on a ton of long nature walks.
- I have also checked the MLS listings daily and can’t wait to buy a dive of a house and renovate it.
- I have not gone shopping once!…although there is a wedding coming up and I have nothing to wear 😉